Friday 31 January 2014

Soy amado

So the first Quilt As You Go (QAYG) quilt for Mexico City street children is finished.



If you missed my original post on it please read here and the update is here.

If you would like to help you have two options: if you're up to making a whole quilt then it needs to be sent to an address in the Netherlands. It doesn't have to be your best work with your best fabric with all the points matching. It literally just has to be a quilt because however you make it, it will be loved and cherished. It really doesn't take long as both Hadley and Susan can testify.

If you have neither the time nor the resources how about making a quilted 12 1/2" (unfinished) block for me? Again, you don't have to fret about colours, patterns, styles...anything will do. Just grab some scraps and start sewing. Add a bit of batting and some backing, quilt it however you want and you're done. It takes 20 minutes tops to do one block. I got a couple in the post from Sarah yesterday so she'll also tell you how quick and easy it is to do.



The left and right blocks were sent to me and will be worked into the next quilt and the one in the middle I knocked up.

The blocks are being assembled with the QAYG method which is proving very simple (thank you everyone for sticking to a precise 12 1/2" !). They're all assembled randomly but I think still give an air of a fun and cuddly quilt which is what it is all about.

With this method you get a secondary patchwork quilt on the back.


The first delivery of quilts will go 3 March and it would be fantastic if a sizeable amount went on this first journey. However, deliveries will be made throughout the year so if that's too tight a timescale, don't worry. Please send what you can when you can.

And the front.


Soy amado?  My GCSE Spanish eldest daughter and Google Translate tell me this means 'I am loved' which is what this quilt drive is all about. To just try and make a growing bunch of Mexican street children feel that there are people out there who care and are thinking of them. Not life changing for them I'll admit but all part of the little things that will add together to let them know they are not alone.

It is my intention to applique this on all the QAYG quilts I make for the children and if you are making a whole quilt, please feel free to add it yourself. It's quick (raw edge applique) but hopefully just adds that extra bit of care for them.

So how am I doing? So far, three whole quilts have been sent to the Netherlands and I have received four quilt block packages; one from Canada (thank you Anita), one from the USA (thank you Martha), one from the UK (thank you Anne) and one from Ireland (thank you Sarah).

However, as of today, there have been 664 views of my original post on making quilts for Mexican street children. Coupled with the fact that I read everywhere that the quilting community is such a supportive and giving place, I am sure that more blocks and quilts will be forthcoming.



Am I right?







28 comments:

  1. what a worthwhile project will pop over to read more about it and maybe make a block for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. mine is ready to quilt .. hopefully will be done soo x Now have see this will add the words too x...CAREFULLY checking the spelling as I go!!! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you are right. It has been a crazy January but I will get a block or two off to you very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the address from Cindy, hope that's OK, your reply didn't come through. I will have a quilt with you in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great project. Your quilt is scrappy happy. I am finishing a block right now. I will email you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in and have suggested this to our guild as well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a very loving gift. Sure to be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am posting two quilts to the Netherlands this week, and will get some blocks to you also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Nice people are out there doing good things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! Great project! Since I saw your post on this matter, I wanted to be part of it and, I made some blocks for your project and would love to send them to you, just need an adress. God bless you for what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well said, and love the happy scrappy quilt xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a couple of blocks - I'll get them sorted for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. mine will be in the post this week.....life just took over for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of course you're right, you always are!
    What's the address in NL, maybe I can send a quilt there.
    Would you like it to be quilted as I go, or is that not obligatory?
    I have a few orphan blocks lying around (stars) and they would make a great start to a quilt that will be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there I have a couple of blocks to send if you still need them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's just gorgeous, send me your Adress and i will send you some blocks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I started on my quilt top on Monday - I'm still aiming for two quilts (one blue one pink) but might have to send one by the 3rd and the other will follow later. Maybe some people have sent to the Netherlands without telling you? I hope so :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm inspired to help and will make several QAYG blocks to send right away. Just let me know where to mail them. Thanks for making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are right. Heading out on a sunny holiday tomorrow and then once back, refreshed, I will knock some out for you. Good job on the guilt trip ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! I have two blocks ready to send you. Can you let me know your address please?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've just seen the link on Leanne's (shecanquilt) blog so I'll check out your original post for all the info and I'll send you some blocks - I'm in australia so they'll take a few weeks to post after they're made so I'm glad its an ongoing project :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi like Sarah I have made 2 blocks so please can I have your address too. One of them is very slightly under 12.5" is that okay?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I need to start making a point of reading your blog, even if I no longer make it to any other blogs -- this is such a lovely project! I just found it through a post of Nicolette's on flickr. I hope I can find some time in the next few days to make some blocks. I'll do my very best!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am just using a couple of orphan blocks to make some blocks for you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I see my blocks. :) What a great project! Wonderful work Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I also need an address. I told my Mom who is 83 about your project and she wanted to help. She doesn't quilt but is an awesome painter and her colour sense is divine. She went to Tanzania a few years ago but while there fell and broke her hip. She was flown to the hospital in Tanzania by Doctors without Borders. She had the best care at the Hospital there and she will never forget. So when I told her about this she replied we better get to work! Thank you for the amazing work you are doing. Please send me the address to FuzzyLimefibres@gmail.com. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10