Thursday 10 May 2012

Quilting matters

It's very easy to get absorbed into this whole quilt-making thing.

In the initial flurry of quilt making it's very simple to find family, friends and Uncle Tom Cobley, who, although they may not specifically have asked for a quilt, you feel sure need and want one, which more than justifies your need to make quilts.

And then they all have one and yet you still want to carry on making quilts, knowing that you will always want to keep it as a fun, relaxing hobby.
How many can you stock-pile before you realise that if the pile gets any higher it is going to topple over.


So I decided to start giving some away to charity.

Last year I made this one...


...and last November packed it off to Project Linus purely because they have a branch on a neighbouring island and I wanted to think of it being used in my corner of the world.

I thought no more of it, other than wondering whether it was a tadge self-indulgent to think that someone would find a use for something I had made purely because I wanted to.

And then I came home from work today to a letter waiting for me from Project Linus, enclosing a photo copy of a thank you card they had received from the girl it has gone to in a children's home.

Although I can't tell you her name I did feel sad and wonder if she was in a children's home because of this

And all my doubts about whether making a quilt really helps melted away.

This one short note has made me realise that, in its own way, quilting really does matter.

21 comments:

  1. Isn't that just so sweet!! It is a fantastic quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a beautiful quilt and obviously well loved. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to keep going then don't you - it's a social obligation! I jest and am serious all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness is n't it lovely that the little girl spent time writing a 'Thank you' note, it makes your heart swell. It is a beautiful quilt, and you must be thrilled its appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to get a note, so nice to know your work is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continue daĆ­ que eu continuo daqui.Beijos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice that the girl treasures it so, and finds pleasure and comfort in it. Just what a quilt is supposed to do. And how nice that you got this letter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Says it all really!! I got a little lump in the throat reading that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh don`t give an old cynic like me a lump in the throat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, so perfect. When you wonder if 'making a difference' really does... I'm so glad you got that note. I worked in an inner city school, and let me tell you - a new pair of socks would be a special highlight, so don't ever think that a cozy comfort (and such a beautiful, happy looking one) wouldn't make someone feel special! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to get a note back! It makes it all even more worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The quilt is wonderful and it is so nice to know that it is making a difference to a real young person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so right!
    And I am moved ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done, well said, welled heart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a wonderful letter... makes it all worth while xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful - of you for making the quilt, of the girl for saying thank you and of P.Linus for forwarding the card!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a sweet thank you note :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh what a very sweet note to make your day! I've recently become involved with Project Linus too...I had a pile of Fleece Tied Blankets I'd made while riding as a passenger on trips over the past year. They keep them local, which is just what I wanted...I like to think they're going to someone who needs the comfort they will definitely give. Ours are given out to the local Children's Hospital and to various Foster Care situations. So glad they let you know it had found a very good home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet story, it warms my heart to see such messages. I love making quilts, especially the process feeds something in me. I have had friends and family say "oh you should sell them" but as I was stock piling them to consider that I did not feel the same joy, but rather a ball of stress. And then all my friends started having another litter of babies this year and my heart felt realigned to be giving the quilts away again. I sincerely enjoy your projects even though I don't always get time right now to check every post, you are my stalkees list!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How wonderful! Of course, we don't do it for the thanks so that note's a bonus!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10