Saturday 17 July 2010

Quilts without batting

It is perfectly possible to make quilts without batting as I have discovered - an idea first mentioned to me by a friend. It works best with flannel cotton which is slightly heavier than regular quilting cotton.

When you have pieced your front, use fleece for the backing. The combination of flannel and fleece gives about the same 'loft' as if you had used batting in between.

I didn't find it any more difficult to quilt. It was probably slightly easier to quilt, as you are only concerned with two, as opposed to three, layers shifting around.

And it washes just fine too. The combination of flannel and fleece makes for a very snugglesome quilt.

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea, I'm going to need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I can only think of hot chocolate, that quilt and a good film :)

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I just bought some Anna Maria Horner flannel, and was going to buy more flannel to back it, but maybe I will do fleece instead and skip the batting. Sounds cozy!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10